Katherine R. Smith, Ph.D
Dr. Smith holds a BS in Wildlife Conservation from UC Davis, an MS in Biology from New Mexico State University, and a Ph.D. in Ecology and a certificate in Conservation Management from UC Davis. She began working with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) after completing her undergraduate work in 2007. From 2009 to 2018, she partnered with CDFW to pursue several interdisciplinary projects for her graduate work, which focused on improving wetland management in the San Francisco Bay Estuary, especially with regards to the conservation of the Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse.
With WRA, Dr. Smith works as a wildlife biologist and performs a variety of specialized tasks, including live trapping for salt marsh harvest mice, biological monitoring for special status species, habitat assessments, construction monitoring, authoring biological resource assessments and technical reports, and preparing documentation to support permitting efforts. She uses her extensive experience in agency and academia to promote a more collaborative relationship among all stakeholders when it comes to conservation in the ecosystems of the San Francisco Bay. She is regarded as one of the leading authorities on the ecology of the salt marsh harvest mouse and other rodents throughout the Bay and is one of the few consultants permitted to trap the species throughout the Bay. Her expertise is invaluable for evaluating the value of habitats for Salt Marsh Harvest Mice, for making recommendations for habitat enhancement and mitigation measures, and for understanding their behavior.
- PhD Ecology, University of California Davis, 2018
- Conservation Management Certificate, UC Davis, 2018
- MS Biology, New Mexico State University, 2012
- BS Wildlife Conservation, University of California Davis, 2007
- USFWS 10(a)1(A) Recovery Permit Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse
- CA Scientific Collection Permit Small Mammals of San Francisco Estuary
- Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse Workgroup (a partnership between USFWS, CDFW, USGS, EBRPD, WRA, Inc., HT Harvey, UC Davis. SFSU)
- IUCN Species Survival Commission – Small Mammal Specialist Group
- American Society of Mammalogists: Committee Member; Conservation Committee, Human Diversity Committee
- Western Section of the Wildlife Society: Committee Chair; Student Affairs Committee. Committee Co-Chair; Human Diversity Committee
- Delta Science Post-Doctoral Fellow, California Sea Grant, 2018
- Scientific Excellence Award, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, 2017
- Delta Science Pre-Doctoral Fellow, California Sea Grant, 2013